The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Deadliest Epidemic - and How it Changed the Way We Think About Disease, Cities, Science, and the Modern World

The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World - Steven Johnson 3.5 stars.Interesting stuff. Compelling, shocking and heartbreaking. At the time of the Cholera outbreak, London's policy to deal with sewage actually caused and worsened the outbreak killing thousands and thousands of people. I cannot quite wrap my mind around the concept of cess pools in basements nor the concept that the dumping of sewage from the entire urban area into that same urban area's drinking water was considered to be an achievement by the city's planners. Descriptions of the manner in which people died were almost too much for me, not because it was gruesomely written but because it was described so truthfully and painfully. I could not help but imagine my entire family stricken by cholera, my children suffering and all of us being unaware that by simply ingesting large amounts of clean water myself and my family would be saved. This account is well-researched and an interesting read.