Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 12)

Deadlocked - Charlaine Harris Edited to add: I spent some time today (completely wasted and lost time I should add), skimming the bulk of Deadlocked and reading the last few chapters. This does not change my rating or my opinion of the book. I am relieved, however, that Harris is closing down the series and pointing Sookie toward a mate. But the method by which she is doing this stinks. ***I stopped at 26%. Nothing was happening and it is incredibly boring. These is a lot of recap, recap and recap. By now we have all read the other books! We know about the war with fairy, we know about Jason's past marraige, we know, we know, we know. In Deadlocked, there are characters who have never been important to the books and the storyline that are suddenly front and center. Harris seems to have forgotten what made these books special. She wrote interesting characters (initially) that acted according to their characters' personalities and were involved in interesting intrigue and mysteries. Oh and there was scary monsters too. Well that is not in this book. Does Harris just wake up and decide that plot lines she wrote in to her past several books were a bad idea? I really get frustrated with how Harris has something big and game changing happen in one book and then suddenly she changes it back to how it was before the game changer in a later book. Why the heck the struggle then and the war in the previous books if with one knock on the door in a subsequent book it is all erased?!! This is not the first plot line she has changed with the flick of her pen (i.e. the blood bond) and she has done this to characters. If she wants to end the possibility of a relationship, then Harris has that power. She can write in circumstances and still keep the characters in tact. But Harris never does that. She has spent the past few books destroying both Alcide's and Eric's characters. Alcide's actions in the last book (along with Amelia's) were so ridiculously out of character. In the past few books, Eric was not even a caricature of the vampire she had previously written. Well it continues with Deadlocked. I never thought Eric would be boring! I never thought (outside of the book about the witchs' spell) that he could be so dumb. I never imagined a strip club scene could be so boring. Sorry I just can't do it. And I am sad about it, sad that I invested so much money and time in to this series and author (often buying both the ebook and then the audio book). Sometimes the story arc is done and it has to be ended. This can be done without disappointing readers and gutting the soul out of the books. Really it can. So I may return to this book in a day or two to skim, I am just too disappointed right now to continue. If you would like to read a more thought out and more in detail review that isn't just a rant, please check out BadAssBookReviews.