Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels World #1)

Gunmetal Magic - Ilona Andrews I feel like such a traitor. I didn't love this book. I have loved every single thing Ilona Andrews has written. I am one of the fans that loved the first book in the Kate Daniels series. I loved that the focus of Kate Daniels is not on the resolution of a romance, but on the struggle and adventure in the story. Romance is just sort of the icing on top and maybe some delicious filling in the middle. Gunmetal Magic read to me like it was entirely about Raphael and Andrea. And that is not a bad thing, but it is not what I have come to expect from the Kate Daniels series. I tend to steer away from UF where the entire focus is the resolution of the romance (for example, Angels' Blood). So I admit, I may not be going in with the same focus as all readers. The funny thing is, is that despite me not enjoying UF with a heavy romance focus, the best parts of this book involved Andrea and Rapheal scenes, a close 2nd and 3rd for me would be the Kate and Andrea scenes and the Andrea and Aunt B scenes. The dialogue was good, the humor was funny. But the mystery bored me completely. Am I going to read the next Kate Daniels book? Definitely. I will still buy it on the first day it is released. This is just a little bump in the road for me and I am happy to know that most fans loved it. Just call me the odd ball.