Blackout: The Newsflesh Trilogy: Book 3

Blackout - Mira Grant This was fanflippingtastic! The best in the series. I just finished and I am shaking. I don't think there will be anything this good for me, ever again. This is not a review, lol, I will be back to write a more coherent and better put together thoughts. Mira Grant is a brilliant writer.**I was in love with this book from the beginning. I should say upfront, I liked Feed but not as much as Deadline, which I loved and not as much as Blackout, which is my favorite. For me, Mira really hit her stride with Blackout. The alternating points of view were very effective and I loved the blog posts from the various team members. The way Mira tells her story, both in first person point of view from various characters and in a journal format via quotes and blog excerpts, really worked for me. It gave the story a multi-layered feel. Blackout was non-stop struggle, fight and chase from the beginning. The action never stopped but it was my favorite kind of action. I skim or close my eyes during fight scenes and car chase sequences but the action in Blackout had me hooked. I did not miss a word. I wondered about people’s motives, I worried that there would be unresolved issues and I worried about my favorite characters. I shouldn’t have worried. Not everyone can live or survive in a world like this one, but the characters are dealt with fairly and I was satisfied with the outcome. A book about a zombie plague that affected the world’s mammal population and a future dytsopia setting is bound to have its unbelievable moments, but for me this never happened. Mira Grant writes this book in such a way that it is believable. A lingering question at the end of every zombie book is –how did the zombie plague happen? Well, in Newsflesh Mira Grant lays it out for the readers. We know why it happened. She provides enough detail to readers so that the science is acceptable. Her world building is not just in boundaries and political alignments, but is is also done with science. Political plots can be a real yawner. Ther are some books with political plotlines that I liked (Kushiel’s Dart and Game of Thrones are some examples), but I prefer an action based plot or a character driven plot — Blackout manages to have both and has politics intertwined and somehow is still. There is political intrigue, backstabbing and power hungry grabbers. But there are other political elements as well. One of the political themes that I picked up on, is the idea that citizens should not trust a government or authority that derives its power from fear. Mira touches on this theme very subtly and effectively but does not hit the reader over the head with it. But what I thought was interesting, but questioning the government on the issue of fear and safety, she is calling into question the premise of the world she has constructed. Are those multiple blood tests really necessary? Necessary or not, they play a key role in the books but there is a hint that these blood tests may be used as a method of pacification and mollification rather than simply a safety measure. While reading the first two books I often wondered — what about the people who live off the grid? Was that even possible? Mira takes the readers off the grid in Deadline; we get to see people who have walked away from the fences and the government protection. While the first two books had more of a dystopia setting feel by showing us the off-the grid folks it was evident that the apocalypse was still going on. And that is downright scary. It really isn’t under control but what the government is doing to maintain the problem isn’t working. There are so many issues addressed in this book — power, greed, love, desparation ….. Ugh, I am so sad this trilogy is over. I would love to have more stories about these characters. I am hoping Mira Grant considers returning to this world. She has created something so unique in the zombie genre that deserves to be revisited.To read an interview with Mira Grant and for more of this review and others, check out www.badassbookreviews.com.