Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins I listened to the audio narration done of this novel and it was well done. But the story just fell mostly flat for me, even though there were peaks of the story that I really liked. I enjoyed the first 1/3 of Lola and I think this story would have made a decent novella, I don't think there is enough storyline to fill an entire book, however. I found it hard to always sympathize with or understand why Lola was so upset. I just didn't think her parent situation was that upsetting. But, other things were dealt with well. I continue to think that Stephanie Perkins deals well with conflicting and competiting emotions and the confusion of being in one relationship but wanting to be in another relationship.It was sweet to see Anna and St. Claire, but while they were so sweet they were just too perfect. They made me jealous! I also found it hard to accept that college students would go out of their way to hang out with a high school student no matter how interesting she dresses. Crikett, the "hero" of the story, is yes very lovable and attractive but a little too perfect. If you are expecting another Anna and the French Kiss, Lola is not that. But it is a decent young adult romance and angst novel if you are willing to accept some plot holes and leaps. Otherwise, it is sweet. I would recommend reading the story v. listening, as in the end I am not sure I enjoyed listening (but the narration was okay so I can't blame it on the narrator).